Project Management for the Cuneiform Project

Initially the project was to be carried out by two groups who would make separate plans, carry out practice, and capture at the library together. I was in Group 1.

Group One

Amanda Morse (Rep) Processing
Seán Sourke Processing
James Byrne 3D Printing
Eleanor Obrien Digitization
Aine McAdam Reporting (withdrew from the project)
Michael Kurzmeier Online Platform

From a project management perspective we had been working off the Trello we had set up for the group.

Michael had set it up and we all contributed to what we felt needed to be done by filling in suggestions and moving around tasks as they were completed.



I suggested we should visit the Library prior to the capture day and commenced a correspondence with the Library to arrange a visit. On Wednesday the 1st of November, as a mixed group of five, we went to the Russell Library at 10am. We met Barbara, who would be working with us on the day of the capture, we seen the tablets which were on display, we noted the space available for us to work, the socket locations, and took note of the need for extension leads.

Our visit to the Russell Library

Myself and Amanda started work on the Gantt Chart on the 2nd of November. I drew up a very rough hand chart on a note pad page and we tried to estimate the capture times from our experience in the lab the previous day. We also estimated the processing times based on the processing we had done up to this point.

Gantt Chart – rough draft one

Following on from the hand drawn Gantt chart, Amanda did up the first digital draft of the Gantt chart using Mrcrosoft Excel spread sheet software. We discussed what we produced with Michael and James, the only other members of the group available that day, and I later amended it by adding some tasks, renaming others, added colour coding and a key.

Digital Draft One – Amanda
Digital Draft Two- Seán

We then shared it with the group for feedback that night through email. Everyone agreed on it being a realistic time scale. It proved to be for the most part.

Gantt Chart Finalised

I then generated a word document from the Excel Spread Sheet file, which was an outline of the tasks as a table of contents. This which used a suggestion for generating the final report.

However, these times were all based on the highest quality setting, except for the dense cloud process, for which we used the “High” setting. “Ultra high” being the maximum, can take a considerably longer time to process. At this stage we had only limited experience of trying to align the test tablet and although it was proving difficult to align, we felt we had identified the issues causing the problems. What was unforeseen, and needed more time than we had planned for, was the issues we ran into during the Russell Library tablet processing which were due to a bug in the software beyond our control and knowledge. This was impossible to factor in.

The major problem with the project managment as a whole was the breaking up of the clearly defined groups for the capturing days. Prior to this, we all had our own distinct role within our respective groups and things were going according to our plan.

When we discovered that our groups were going to be broken up and mixed up on the capture days, then the projected plans started to break down. We all became unsure of our roles, since the capture was carried out by the mixed groups, and the tasks assigned to us became meaningless in this context.

We each found ourselves with different roles on the capture day and ended up with datasets being shared only amongst those people who were in a capture group together at the library. People then took responsibility for the processing of their own tablets generated from the capture group.

Because of these issues, the two original groups were then merged into one large group, and this was not a success. Communication broke down within the group and people focused on processing their own tablets. The roles we were originally assigned were not followed until later on in the project when we had to start preparing for the presentations and upload our models for the online platform. We decided that we should keep our originally assigned role, and work with the people from the other group to ensure the tasks assigned to us was carried out in time.

At the Russell Library on the capture day I captured six tablets along with James. I process all six tablet image sets using the Adobe Camera RAW processor. I colour calibrated the images using the X-Rite colour passport checker, which we used on the day of the shoot. I downloaded the software, created a colour profile for the shoot, and applied them to all the images from the shoot.

The Colour Passport photographed in the Russell Library using capture lighting conditions the lighting

I then made the standard adjustments to the levels and applied sharpening to the RAW images, and batch saved them as jpeg datasets for each tablet.

I then gave James two datasets, and Michael one.

I generated three tablet models from the datasets. James generated two models, and we shared a data set with Michael and he generated the final model.

All models were produced on time and worked fine.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *